Saturday, June 18, 2011

TBR List - # I-Lost-Count

I have found some amazing books recently, and I had to share. I also recently discovered my TBR list on Goodreads, and there are so many books on there... Yikes! I really need to clean that thing out...

Title: Above
Author: Leah Bobet
Release Date: Spring 2012 (so far away!!)
Find it on Goodreads!

Description:
Matthew's father had lion's feet and his mother had gills, and both fled the modern-day city to live in underground Safe, a secret community of freaks, ghost-whisperers, and disabled outcasts hidden beyond the subways and sewers. Raised underground, Matthew is responsible for the keeping of both Safe's histories and the traumatized shapeshifter Ariel, the girl he took in, fell in love with – and can't stop from constantly running away.

But Safe is no longer safe: the night after a frightening encounter in the sewers, Safe's founder Atticus is murdered by the one person Safe ever exiled: mad Corner, whose coup is backed by an army of mindless, whispering shadows.

Only Matthew, Ariel, and a handful of unstable, crippled compatriots escape to the city that cast them out; the dangerous place he knows only as Above. Despite Ariel's increasingly erratic behaviour and with the odds against them, Matthew must find a way to rescue Safe from Corner's occupying army. But as his quest leads him through abandoned asylums and the dregs of urban poverty, Matthew discovers that the histories he's devoted his life to aren't true: Corner's invasion -- and Ariel's terrors – are rooted in a history of Safe much darker and bloodier than Matthew ever imagined.

And even if he manages to save both home and Ariel, he may well lose himself.

Why I want this book: It. Looks. Amazing. OMG! Love the post-apocalyptic feel. And it just sounds so intriguing!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Title: The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Find it on Goodreads!

Description:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Why I want this book: I know what you're thinking: "Vivian, you sold out! You just want it because it's popular." But no. While I have been seeing reviews and mentions of this book everywhere, I read a review of this book that made me go, "Okay. I have to check this thing out." Before that review (and I've seen dozens of them!) I wasn't the least bit interested. Plus, the last part of the last line drew me in: "and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart." So I'm a sucker for romance! I can't help myself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Title: Candor
Author: Pam Bachorz
Find it on Goodreads!

Description:
In the model community of Candor, Florida, every teen wants to be like Oscar Banks. The son of the town's founder, Oscar earns straight As, is student-body president, and is in demand for every club and cause. But Oscar has a secret. He knows that parents bring their teens to Candor to make them respectful, compliant–perfect–through subliminal Messages that carefully correct and control their behavior. And Oscar' s built a business sabotaging his father's scheme with Messages of his own, getting his clients out before they're turned. After all, who would ever suspect the perfect Oscar Banks? Then he meets Nia, the girl he can't stand to see changed. Saving Nia means losing her forever. Keeping her in Candor, Oscar risks exposure . . . and more.

Why I want this book: I read a review of this book on The Book Addicted Girl, and I knew I had to have it. Dystopian? Check. Romance? Check. Plus--read her review! Who wouldn't want it after that?! It has a Disturbing Behavior feel to it, and I loved the concept of that movie.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Title: Breath of Angel (The Angeleon Circle #1)
Author: Karyn Henley
Release date: Jun 21, 2011
Find it on Goodreads!

Description:
The stranger’s cloak had fallen back, and with it, a long, white, blood-stained wing.

When Melaia, a young priestess, witnesses the gruesome murder of a stranger in the temple courtyard, age-old legends recited in song suddenly come to life. She discovers wings on the stranger, and the murderer takes the shape of both a hawk and a man.

Angels. Shape-shifters. Myths and stories—until now.

Melaia finds herself in the middle of a blood feud between two immortal brothers who destroyed the stairway to heaven, stranding angels in the earthly realm. When the feud turns violent and Melaia becomes a target, she finds refuge with a band of angels attempting to restore the stairway. But the restoration is impossible without the repayment of an ancient debt—the “breath of angel, blood of man,” a payment that involves Melaia’s heart, soul, and destiny.

Why I want this book: I'm vaguely obsessed with angels and demons. I wrote two different stories about angels and demons. Plus, the whole "in the middle of a blood feud between two immortal brothers who destroyed the stairway to heaven" sold me. So intriguing!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Title: Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Expected publication: June 28th 2011
Find it on Goodreads!

Description:
UK Edition:
She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But ...They are brother and sister.

U.S. Edition:
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

Why I want this book: I have been looking at this book for... a long time. It reminds me of V.C. Andrew's books, where the brother and sister always fall in love. I find the taboo subject of incestuous love fascinating--the idea of, "If we hadn't grown up together, could we have fallen in love?", and, "Why aren't adopted brothers and sisters interested in each other?" I don't know why I find it interesting and I don't know the answer to either question, but it all comes down to love, wrong or not. (And I love love!) There's an inherent drama in just the topic alone--more than enough to spawn an intriguing novel full of angst. I read a review of it on Bookchilla's Reading is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac blog, and I immediately went to buy it. Imagine my disappointment when I saw it was still only available in the UK, and Amazon UK won't sell to the U.S. (ARGH!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

0 comments: