Wednesday, May 18, 2011

TBR List!

It's that time again! I even created a page for it since there are SO MANY on my list. (You can see it up above, under "Book Finds!") It's the TBR List!

I recently (as in, yesterday!) discovered this website, called Book Blogs. It's a big community of book bloggers wanting to share their blogs with everyone else. So I was clicking around in the YA forum, and I found some bloggers who seemed like they would be interesting, nice people. And what did I find? Books to read!!

(I should say here I was trying to limit my "Book Finds!" page to Indie reads, for purely selfish reasons, so these will not be going on the "Book Finds!" page. But I will add a TBR tag to the TBR posts in case you ever want to find these books again. 'cause I know you're just dying to remember what I put on my TBR list...)

Our first two books were found at mysteriousbooks.

Title:  Possession
Author: Elana Johnson

Description: Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Thoughts: I love dystopian novels. I don't know what it is about them. Something about the world as it could be? And this just looks too fascinating to pass up. Almost like a cross between our history (girls are to be seen and not heard, and don't even think about touching boys?) and what might have happened if we hadn't shifted the pendulum the other way. Too bad it doesn't come out until June. Good thing June is just around the corner.

__________________________________

Title: Hereafter
Author: Tara Hudson

Description:  Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.

Thoughts: It's a love story. I love a good love story. And the opening sentence really caught my eye. Then the girl knowing she's dead but not knowing anything about herself sounded refreshing and intriguing to me. So I knew I had to pick this up. Just keep telling yourself: June is coming. June is coming. June is coming...

__________________________________

Our next book was discovered over at Curled Up with Books. I initially started skimming by the book, but then I saw the review she had posted about it. She wrote, "Love is a disease?! Creative. Interesting." I was hooked immediately and scrolled right back up to see what the book was all about. Now I have to have it. Now.

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver

Description: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Why I Picked It Up: Dystopian. I must be in the mood. But seriously... Tell me this book doesn't sound incredible! Love as a disease? Really? How original is that? Plus--love story. I have to read this.

__________________________________

This one I found over at Bonnie Lamer's blog.

Title: Shelter (Blood Haze: Book One)
Author: Tara Shuler

Description: Two guys, one girl, and two dark secrets that threaten to tear her world apart.

Alice Wright is a young vampire going to high school for the first time at the age of seventeen at the behest of her eccentric mother. In many ways, she's more afraid of the human students than they would be of her.

She feels lost and awkward in human society, but she soon develops a strong bond with the cousin of one of her human classmates, nineteen year old Kai. He is beautiful, but somewhat of an enigma. She discovers a dark secret in Kai's life, and she instantly wants to shelter him from the pain that has tormented him all his life.

Then she meets Maksim Augustine, the incredibly gorgeous guy who seems more like he should be a model than a high school student. She is overwhelmingly attracted to him physically, but her love for Kai causes her to continually push him away. Eventually, she discovers a frightening secret about Max, too.

But Max's secret threatens to destroy everything...

Why I Picked It Up: I love vampires. I know, I know. But I do. And I love the name Kai, 'cause I totally used it in one of my stories. And I find the idea of a vampire afraid of humans intriguing.

0 comments: