Saturday, May 28, 2011

Strapped For Ideas? Runaway_Tales Can Save You!

There is a LJ (LiveJournal) community that I love.

At Runaway_Tales, writers and readers from all genres and walks of life join the community, and pick a flavor bunny. (That's right--a bunny!) You can choose up to three at a time.

Within those flavors, and there are an insane amount of them, are prompts. Thousands and thousands of writing prompts, right at your fingertips.

The goal is simple--you use at least one prompt in every post for an original story. They also have "toppings" you can use, a way to spice-up your prompts. You don't need to use the prompts in order. You don't need to write the story in order. You just write the basis (idea) of your story in an intro post, introduce your characters, and start writing.

I wrote one story for this community a couple of years ago. I picked a flavor, and me-being-me, wrote the story from start-to-finish, reorganizing the prompts in my list in a way that made the story flow. (To this day, it remains one of my favorite "short" stories, and if I can figure out how, I might expand it into a novel. It's got a vague dystopian-feel to it.)

The nice thing about the community is that you don't get criticism unless you ask for it. One of the requests when you join is that you read other people's stories, and comment on them, just to aid the community feel and support your fellow writers. But there's no order to do so.

And did I mention the prompts? Lists and lists of ideas, right in front of you.

If you're not a member of LJ, you can still check it out. The community is open. And I highly recommend you give it a shot. Post your stories. Get feedback. Use the prompts provided. I can't tell you how many times I've used those prompts to get me through writer's block.

You won't be sorry.

0 comments: